Anthropologie Knockoff Tutorial:
Pave Ruby Earrings
I get really excited whenever an idea sparks in my head, especially mad ones (remember the Alpaca Pincushion? Hello madness!). Today’s knockoff tutorial is one of the ‘mad’ ones, I think, and hope you’ll like it as much as I do :)
This is the gorgeous original version, Pave Ruby Earrings by Anthropologie (photo credit: Anthropologie). And, can you guess how much the pair cost? It’s $498. Yes, I repeat it again for you. $498. And I’ll say no more.
What you’ll need:
- 2 drop beads
- a pair of earwires
- 10 jump rings
- 2 triangle bails
- small piece of suede
- gold embossing powder
- glue pen
(not in the photo)
- heat gun
- orangewood stick/ tweezers
- pair of flat-nose pliers, round-nose pliers and scissors
1) Using a glue pen, draw a small leaf on the wrong side of the suede.
2) Pour a generous amount of embossing powder on the leaf, and shake off the excess powder on a piece of paper.
3) Repeat Step 1 and 2 to make ten leaves covered with embossing powder.
4) Pour the excess embossing powders back into the jar.
5) With the heat gun, heat the embossing powders until they melt.
6) Cut out the leaves using scissors.
7) Make a hole at the top of a leaf with an awl.
8) Using round-nose pliers and flat-nose pliers, place a jump ring through the hole.
9) Repeat Step 7 and 8 to assemble 5 leaves for each earring – but don’t attach jump rings on the bottom leaves.
10) Attach triangle bails on the bottom leaves.
11) Place drop beads between the bails, squeeze and close them with flat-nose pliers.
12) Attach earwires at the top.
13) Glue rhinestones on the leaves using an orangewood stick or tweezers. And… you’re done!
So, what do you think? Embossing on suede is a bit crazy, but hey, it worked!
The reason why I embossed on the wrong side of suede is 1) it looks cute from the back (on the image left) and 2) glue doesn’t get absorbed too quickly.
My only regret is not placing rhinestones in equal amount – I thought arranging them randomly would be fun but they just looked… a bit too random. Also, it was really hard to take decent photos with the earrings because they were so sparkly…
Anyways, enough excuses now :) Hope you enjoyed the tutorial, and have fun embossing suede!