Nail Art Tutorial: Waterslide Decal (& Free Printable!)
Hello, lovelies! Sorry for the lack of new posts last week – I’ve been working like a headless chicken (I know, not an ideal way to work). But hey, I’m back, and back with the printable nail decal data and tutorial I promised you a while back!
So… ready for the fun?
- clear waterslide decal paper (I got mine here)
- printable decal design (click to download)
- inkjet printer
- bowl of water
1) If you are using A4 decal paper like me, cut them into post card sizes.
2) Click here to download the decal design, then print it our in post card size.
3) Apply nail polish to your nails.
4) If you are using decal papers that need to have clear varnish sprayed on before putting it into water, apply a thin coat of topcoat. Set aside until topcoat dries. Don’t use Seche Vite for this step otherwise the decal will peel off!
5) Cut the decal into the size and shape you want.
6) Dip the decal in water for 30 – 40 seconds.
7) Your decal is ready if the clear sheet slides off easily from the backing sheet. If not, put it back in water for a bit longer.
8) Using tweezers, place the decal on your nail. You can slide and readjust the decal while it’s wet, so no need to rush – carefully push the air out with your fingers.
9) When the decal is completely dry, seal the decal with topcoat. Trim the excess decal if necessary. Again, don’t use Seche Vite for this step! You can use Seche Vite on top of other brand’s top coat, but not directly below or above decals (otherwise decals peel off easily).
10) You can place other decals on top as well. And see? You can’t see the outlines of decals if you take the air out properly :)
Applying the decals is much easier than it sounds, and I really hope I tempted you enough to try it :) Oh, and one more tips from me – if you are to use coloured decals (like the ones on my thumb), use pale/soft colour polishes as the base (you see, the decal is clear so that the strong base colour could ‘kill’ the decal’s colour).
I love these simple diamond and triangle decals – so easy to add some bling!
I’m planning to make some more decal design – any suggestions? I’m thinking Halloween theme, but not sure what sort of tone I should go for yet (ie, realistic or cartoon-ish). Anyways, hope you enjoyed the tutorial and the printable!