Craft Tutorial: Pom Pom Tree
Hello sweets! Have you finished embellishing your house with Christmas decorations yet? Well, I hadn’t even started yet until yesterday – no, I wasn’t been lazy (ok, maybe I was). We live in a little cottage, more than 150 yeas old, and everything is in very small scale – and unfortunately, we don’t have a proper mantel (well, there is one but it’s so narrow that I can’t really dress it up). So I had to come up with an alternative solution and decided to lay my Christmasy soul and ideas on a tiny space on a bookshelf. And what do I need for a tiny space? A tiny Christmas tree, of course!
What you’ll need:
- craft wire (I’m using 18 gauge Artistic Wire)
- wire cutters
- glue gun
1) Make 3 pom poms in 3 different sizes, and leave them untrimmed. I used pom pom makers by Clover (85mm, 65mm and 45mm) but you can also make them using a folk or your hand. See the tutorial here to learn how to make pom poms with a folk, and replace the folk with your hand when making bigger pom poms.
2) Cut the craft wire and bend it to make ‘U’ shape. The ‘U’ should be about the same length as the length of three pom poms put together.
3) Push the wire in through the biggest pom pom, making sure that the wire goes through the knot in the pom (please be careful not to poke your fingers!).
4) Add the second biggest pom pom to the wire. Push both pom poms down, then twist the wire twice at the top to secure poms in place. By pushing the poms, you’ll get nice, dense trees.
5) Add the smallest pom pom, and again push it down, then twist the wire at the top.
6) Now the fun begins. Trim your pom poms to make it tree-like.
7) OK, I was too excited and forgot to take photo (sorry!) but… using glue gun, add as much embellishments as you wish. And… you’re done!
So, now my pom pom tree stands happily next to lots of pom friends :) Curious how my ‘Christmas pom den’ looks like?
Voila! Yes, so many pom poms :)
My theme was actually ‘nutcrackers’ den’ initially, but then I started putting these poms and Miffys and it became pom’s den… I found these bad boy nutcracker candles (yes, they are candles!) at my local vintage bric-a-brac shop. They only cost £5 all together because there were damages on them (but I couldn’t care less!).
And these Miffys? I just couldn’t help putting them up there (I gave them matching scarves because I’m undoubtedly and eye-wateringly nice). But do you know what happens in this household?
This was what happened when I left the room for a few minutes. Mr T, who has such cutting-edge sense of humour that he could even make the Queen lol (no, not while she was watching the Olympic Game’s Opening ceremony), thought it was funny to behead Miffy. So thoughtful…
Anyways, I still have to make a wreath – can you guess what kind of wreath I’m going to make? Yes, using more poms :) Hope you enjoyed the tutorial!