Craft Tutorial: Faux Fur Pearl Necklace
Hello lovelies! Hope you are in favour of this year’s faux fur trend, because today’s tutorial is all about (faux) furry monster :) So, if you’re with me, join me for the tutorial!
- faux fur trimming, approx 70cm (27.6inch) to make 40cm (16inch) necklace
- 14mm faux pearls x 20pcs
- 2 hoops, big enough to thread your faux fur (mine are 1.6cm in diameter)
- 3 jump rings
- 1 clasp
- chain for adjuster, approx 8cm (3.1inch)
- 1 faux pearl, to be used at the end of adjuster chain
(not in the photo)
- a pair of scissors, flat nose pliers and round nose pliers
- thread and a needle
The faux fur trim I’m using is about 2.5cm (inch) width, with 1.5cm backing. I recommend using a trimming instead of cutting faux fur fabric since you don’t have to take care of fraying.
1) Thread the hoop through the trimming, about 2cm from the end.
2) Fold the end of the trimming and sew the edges.
3) Pinch a small amount of trim (approx 2cm) from the end (where the hoop is), and thread the needle. I apologise for the furry obstruction, I know you can’t really see anything in the photo…
4) Thread on a pearl.
5) Pinch the trim again and thread the needle, then put on the next pearl and continue.
6) You see, it’s basically taking large stitches. Yes, that simple.
7) Gently pull your thread to gather up the trim and pearls as you go. See how the trim lay in and out between the pearls?
8) Continue threading pearls until you reach approx 40cm (or your desired length). Add the remaining hoop, fold the end of the trimming and sew and secure the edges.
Now you have something looking like this. You can adjust how much you want the pearls to show (or hide) depending on the size of your stitches. The larger the stitches are, the less pearls show between the fur trim.
9) Using jump rings, attach a clasp and adjustable chain to the end of each hoop.
10) Add a pearl at the end of the chain.
Yes, you’re done! Pretty easy, right?
I’m sure you’ve seen many necklaces done this way with ribbons, but I was curious how it’d look with faux fur :)
I can’t wait to wear it with my red collar-less coat (no, it’s not that cold yet!), but at the moment I’m in love with layering it with another pearl necklace. It’d look nice with big chain necklace too, I think… OK, I’ll give it a thought and will put on a tutorial if a big chain necklace does match.
Ah, and of course I couldn’t buy only one colour… Of course not! Yes, more furry specials coming up in the future :)
One more thing before I go. Because I get to ask where I buy my craft and nail art supplies often – lovelies, I no longer live in the UK, and all the supply shops I use are based in JPAN. Yes, thank you.
I could add links of where I buy supplies from (if they have websites), but most of them don’t even ship internationally. Also they’d be written in Japanese. Do you think adding the links still would help? I really am curious because I haven’t got a clue! Anyways, hope you enjoyed the tutorial!