Fabric Hair Scrunchie Tutorial
I have quite a lot of odd bits of scrap fabrics to use, so today I’m having a tutorial on hair scrunchies. I know, it’s one of the simplest sewing projects ever! Today’s tutorial will show you how to make the ‘basic of the basic’ scrunchies, and I’ll be having a tutorial on ‘pimped’ version tomorrow. Have nice scrunchies time, everyone!
- fabric 10 x 50cm
- elastic cord 15 – 20cm
- safety pin
1) Fold fabric in half widthwise, right sides facing. With 1cm seam allowance, sew the edges.
2) Place the sewn edges to the middle.
3) Fold the top fabric twice.
4) Fold the bottom fabric over the top fabric.
5) With 1cm seam allowance, sew along the cut edge. Please be careful not to sew the folded top fabric inside, and sew only the outside bit!
6) When you sew up to 5 – 6cm from the bottom (as seen in photo),
gently pull out the fabric from bottom, and continue sewing the outside fabric edges. Repeat this until you have 4 – 5cm opening left.
7) Now your fabric will look like this.
8) Now, this is my favourite bit. Pull out the fabric from the opening.
You will suddenly have a loop!
9) Using a safety pin, thread the elastic through the opening and all around the loop. Tie a knot in the end of the string.
And voila, you are done!
It’s so easy (it took me about 10 mins to make one) I made two :) Wait for tomorrow’s tutorial for ‘pimped-up’ scrunchies!